we care for kids and would love to care for yours
The Memorial Hospital has a dedicated paediatric day stay unit and overnight ward, staffed with trained and experienced paediatric nursing staff. Our accommodation is a mix of single and shared rooms with bed allocation is based on your child's clinical needs. It is expected that one parent / carer will stay overnight with your child. Suitable facilities are provided.
Our Paediatric Specialties include:
- Paediatric Allergy Testing
- Lively Eaters Program
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Otorhinolaryngology (Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery)
- Paediatric Sleep Studies
- Paediatric Surgery
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
At The Memorial Hospital, we make every effort to help our young patients feel at ease.
We offer a range of amenities and services to support their stay:
- Kid's menu
- Activities pack on arrival
- Wi-Fi access, TV
- Kitchen facilities
- Baby facilities (change table, high chair, bottle warmers)
- Take home gift for every child
A visit to hospital is a big event in a child’s life, even if it is only for a day procedure. Here are some tips and recommendations to help make it a smooth experience.
Memorial KIDS – Your Child’s Hospital Journey PDF
Before you arrive
Complete your eAdmission as soon as your surgeon has confirmed your admission date via
- You will receive a phone call from a Paediatric Preadmission Nurse in the days leading up to your child’s admission to discuss their hospital stay
- If you have any court / guardianship orders in place, please discuss with staff during this preadmission call and ensure you bring a copy of these documents on admission
- Specialist’s rooms will notify you via text message or phone of the scheduled admission and fasting times the evening prior to your admission
- If your child has special needs and may require extra support or services during their hospital admission, please contact our Clinical Manager on 08 8366 3435 to discuss your requirements
- If your child is unwell on the day of surgery, please contact your surgeon’s rooms for advice and follow current public health advice.
Street parking surrounding the hospital is available at council rates.
Casual car parking is available at commercial rates at the Memorial Medical Centre Car Park and at Adelaide Oval.
Due to the proximity to Adelaide Oval, on the occasion of event days / night temporary road closures and restrictions may be in place surrounding the hospital. The Memorial Hospital is accessible during these times, but please be aware there may be parking shortages and traffic congestion.
Additional information about event dates can be found here https://www.adelaideoval.com.au/whats-on/
Download the parking map HERE
Arriving at the hospital
For Monday to Friday day time admissions please present to Memorial Kids Level 2 entrance
For Saturday and sleep study admissions please present to main reception
Download our Memorial Kids map HERE
- We remind you that there is an expectation that any parent / carer / visitor who plans to attend the hospital must adhere to any current public health advice and does not visit if they are unwell
- Visitors should be limited to direct family to allow a chance for your child to recover, please ensure you refer to the current visitor guidelines found here
- You are solely responsible for any visiting children brought into the ward and we ask that they be kept under strict supervision
Throughout your child’s stay
- Please ensure you have one parent / carer in attendance at all times throughout your child’s stay. If you are required to leave your child unattended at any time, please inform nursing staff.
- One parents / carer only is asked to escort their child to the operating theatre
- Accommodation and meals will be provided for one designated parent / carer who is staying with the child
- We take the safety and security of paediatric patients very seriously, this will be further explained to you on admission
- For your child’s safety please note that hot drinks are not permitted in paediatric areas of the hospital
Memorial KIDS is sensitive to the needs of children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and empower them as they receive care. We have several initiatives in place to assist children during their hospital stay including:
Paediatric Preadmission Service - a paediatric nurse will contact parent / carer of all children who have a planned admission to gather important information about their child including known coping strategies and any stressors.
Sensory Toolbox - in collaboration with TLC for Kids, we offer sensory toolboxes, which consist of a range of sensory items that help to distract anxious children, particularly those with ASD.
Single room allocation - wherever possible including day cases, we will try to allocate a single room if required.
Quiet areas - we have quiet areas available within our waiting rooms.
Discharge time is 10.00am
Your child will be discharged when they are:
- Eating and drinking
- Your surgeon and nurse are happy with your child’s condition and progress
Your child’s nurse will discuss with you the post-operative care instructions for when you go home. This is a great opportunity to ask questions you may have. You will be provided with a discharge summary, which details guidelines for recovering at home and any follow up care requirements.
If you have any concerns on discharge, please contact your surgeons rooms in the first instance, or present to the nearest Emergency Department in the event of an emergency.